All swim classes at De Anza share the same curriculum (the course content, designed by De Anza College). Each instructor must teach the same material.
De Anza also specifies that for novice swim classes there will be writing assignments, such as:
2.Essay based upon the history of swimming or swimming in the student’s home country.
I asked students what length seemed appropriate for a short essay and we agreed on 250 words.
I wrote up a webpage on the History of Swimming that includes the outline of all the subject matter required by De Anza college to be taught to swim students:
Examine the global and historical development of swimming from survival to competition.
and then I added more. The page is at: History of swimming section
Students in my classes can use the page and links from it without needing to go to the library or do research from other sources. Please note that you can use the page for research, but the essay must be in your own words. You can quote from that page, or any other material, but you should not just copy a webpage from somewhere and turn it in.
You do not need to email me and tell me what subject you want to write about.
Just pick out a topic and write the essay at canvas.
Possible subjects for your short essay on the history of swimming…
- a few people who invented something useful for swimmers
- a few people who figured out ways to swim faster
- a few people who invented new ways to have fun in/on the water
- how politics has played a role in the history of swimming
- trace ways freestyle was made faster
- women in swimming
- some of the history of water polo or surfing or …
- records of long distance swimming